Alnmouth Rowing is a community venture, with 2 boats built by members of the community, and housed in a historic old LifeBoatHouse on the beach, right beside the seaside.
In the 2015 season we launched our first skiff ‘Pride of Aln’, and we gained a new home on the beach. Over 500 people took part in more than 100 launches before the season ended. Since then we have attracted more members and widened the number and scope of rowing events available.
In May 2019 after 1600 building hours – 150 people attended the launch of our second skiff ‘Enflaeda’.
Today a typical week sees 9 launches over 4 days with 45 people rowing
No previous experience of rowing needed – just come along to try it. We provide briefings on what you need to know.
Get in touch by email
For 2021 the Committee comprises Peter Fearey (Chairman), Marian White (Secretary), Mike Ewen (Treasurer) John Ellis, Charles Luxford, Lara Mellor and Dean Jackson. A good place to meet any of these, or to take look at the skiff, is at the Lifeboat House when there are rowing sessions. You can also email:
The St Ayles Skiff – Background
Designed by Iain Oughtred, based on a Fair Isle skiff (with strong Norse influences)
Started in 2009 when the first was built and launched. May 2010 – 6 boats, December 2010 – 33 boats
Today – 150 boats in 9 countries with another 40+ in build. Other countries showing interest include Brazil and South Africa.
- Supplied as a kit of marine ply parts, supplemented by additional timber plus epoxy and paint.
- Fastest known build time is 6 weeks but more typically 6-12 months.
- Majority are built and rowed by a local community group
Spec: 22ft long, 5ft 8 inch beam, hull and frames 9mm marine ply, gunwales, stem and stern laminated from Larch, oars vary but typically 12 – 14ft, minimum design weight of the skiff 150kg
Crew: 4 rowers plus cox
- Almost all in coastal communities
- Form small teams who work together to build “their” boat
- Learn about the skills and co-operation needed to row and work together as a crew
- Mostly have never built anything remotely like it before
- Enjoy the camaraderie of meeting with other skiff groups to row and/or race